Your sewer line is the connection from your home’s entire plumbing system out to the city sewer system or your septic tank. So, as you can imagine, it’s a main component of your plumbing system.
Unfortunately, these lines can get clogged up from time to time, leading to significant plumbing problems. To prevent clogs (and all associated issues), it’s a good idea to hire a plumbing contractor in Columbus, IN to clean your sewer line every 18 to 22 months. Besides looking at the calendar, here are a few other signs that it’s time to have your sewer lines cleaned out:
- Multiple clogged or slow drains: A single clogged or slow drain in your home is often due to an obstruction in the nearby pipes. But if you have multiple clogged drains throughout your house, the issue likely lies in the sewer line. The only way to fix this problem is by hiring a plumber to auger or water-jet your sewer line.
- Bad odors: Nasty smells and plumbing issues go hand in hand. If you’re experiencing bad odors near drains throughout your home, there’s likely a clog in the main sewer line that’ll need to be cleared out.
- Strange sounds: A gurgling sound coming from your drain means that there’s sewer gas trapped in your plumbing system. Obviously, this is an issue that only a plumbing contractor in Columbus, IN can solve. Your contractor can clear out the line, freeing that gas and eliminating your worries.
- Frequent backups: A backed-up sink, shower or tub isn’t any fun to deal with. Thankfully, a plumber can usually solve it using a plunger or a snake. But if this happens all the time and in different bathrooms, your plumber will need to clean your sewer line to remove an obstruction.
Can sewer line issues be prevented?
The good news is that you don’t have to be the victim of sewer line blockages. In addition to scheduling routine sewer cleaning in Columbus, IN, follow these tips to reduce obstructions and the associated problems:
- Be careful where you plant: Because they break into the line searching for water and nutrients, plant roots are a major cause of sewer line obstructions. Be sure you’re planting trees, bushes and shrubs far away from your sewer line to avoid this issue.
- Watch what you flush: As a general rule, nothing but waste or toilet paper should be flushed down the toilet. Other products—even ones that claim to be flushable—cause clogs either in your plumbing system or the sewer line.
- Use drain filters: Loose hair, food particles and other debris that accidentally slips down the drain are other major sources of plumbing issues. If you’re unlucky, the debris will work its way down to the sewer line, where it will cause a significant backup. A drain filter is the best way to catch that junk before it wreaks havoc on your plumbing.
Contact Barr Plumbing Service, Inc. today
Whether it’s been over a year since you’ve had sewer cleaning in Columbus, IN or if you’ve noticed some of the signs above, call our pros at Barr Plumbing Service, Inc. We’ll send someone out right away to inspect your line and remove any obstructions.