Being a homeowner means there’s always something around the house that needs to be tuned up or adjusted somehow. In today’s example, it’s the water heater! This post will cover some basic DIY maintenance, and teach you some signs that it might be time for water heater repair in Columbus, IN:
- Check the temperature: Everyone loves a piping hot shower, but be sure to check the thermostat on your water heater to ensure the water isn’t too hot. Most water heaters don’t need to be set above 120 degrees, as this causes corrosion, mineral buildup and tank damage. Those nasty problems will necessitate expensive water heater repairs and can be prevented with the touch of a button.
- Flush the tank: Draining and flushing the tank once or twice a year is an easy way to prevent mineral build up mentioned above and improve efficiency. Do this by turning off the cold water supply and hooking a garden hose to the drain valve. Turn on the water and run it until it looks clear.
- Test the pressure relief valve: The pressure relief valve should emit a big burst of hot water into the drainpipe after the test lever is raised and lowered. If that doesn’t happen, there’s debris blocking the valve, or the valve needs to be replaced. In either case, you’ll want to call a plumber to check out the situation.
- Hire a professional: If you don’t have the time or desire to maintain your water heater, just bring in a pro to do it for you. A professional plumber can handle all of the points mentioned above with ease. If your unit is getting up there in age, your plumber might also recommend new water heater installation in Columbus, IN. New tankless water heaters are sure to be more energy efficient than the one you have now!
Benefits of regular maintenance
Maintaining your water heater doesn’t take very much time or effort, but it is very beneficial. Here are a few of the reasons responsible homeowners perform regular maintenance:
- Fewer repairs: The leading reason to perform routine maintenance is to avoid the need for water heater repair in Columbus, IN. A well-maintained unit is less likely to break down, so it stands to reason that you won’t need to call a technician as often.
- Reduced energy costs: Just like with a furnace or air conditioner, a well-maintained water heater requires less energy to operate. Whether yours is gas or electric, keeping it healthy can save you big bucks throughout the year.
- Prolonged lifespan: With proper maintenance, a water heater can last for over a decade. Though a newer unit will be more efficient, buying one right now might not be in your budget. Delay the need for a new water heater by performing basic maintenance.
Water heaters aren’t perfect, even with regular maintenance and professional checkups. Thankfully, our pros at Barr Plumbing Service, Inc. are here to help! We provide a variety of water heater services, including water heater installation in Columbus, IN, as well as repair and general maintenance.