If you’re used to traditional water heaters, tankless water heaters might seem like a bit of a gamble. However, many households find them to be more energy efficient and environmentally friendly than traditional appliances. If they’re right for your household, you’re sure to enjoy their benefits, but some homes are better suited toward traditional models. Before you call a plumber for water heater installation in Columbus, IN, read these pros and cons to decide whether tankless water heaters are right for you:
- PRO—Never run out of hot water: One of the best parts about tankless water heaters is that they heat water instantly, on demand, so you never run out of hot water. Traditional heaters have a finite supply—whatever is stored in your tank—so you have to wait until the tank refills and reheats before you have hot water again.
- CON—Limited simultaneous supply: The counterpoint to the above is that you probably can’t run your dishwasher or laundry machine at the same time you’re taking a shower—there’s no way for the tankless water heater to keep up.
- PRO—Lower month-to-month costs: Since your tankless water heater only heats the water when you want it, it costs much less month over month to heat your water. In fact, tankless heaters are 22 percent more efficient than regular models.
- CON—Higher initial cost: Tankless water heaters do have a higher initial cost, and if you’re using a gas-powered model, you might have to pay a little more to restructure your gas lines. However, the investment will eventually pay off over time.
- PRO—Space saving: Since tankless water heaters don’t have a tank taking up space in your home, you’ll save space in your garage.
- CON—Additional equipment sometimes needed: However, if you don’t already have a water softener, you may need to install one—which defeats the purpose of a space-saving tankless water heater.
- PRO—Eliminate standby loss: Traditional water heaters continuously reheat the water, even if you’re not home, which can lead to expensive gas or electric bills. (This is why it’s smart to set your water heater to “vacation mode” when you’re not around.) Tankless water heaters only heat water on demand, so you won’t have to deal with this problem.
- CON—Changing your water habits could save more energy: On the other hand, you can change your water habits and get almost the same results. Using low-flow fixtures and limiting your water usage can save you plenty of money on water and energy every month.
Whether you want to spring for a tankless water heater or stick to your old model, there are pros and cons to both options. The most important factor is to choose a system that works for your household.
When you need help with your plumbing, water heater and more, Barr Plumbing Service, Inc. can help. We specialize in providing a full range of plumbing services, including tankless water heater installation. Call our plumbing contractors in Columbus, IN today to schedule an appointment.